Thursday, 11 May 2017
Pros And Cons Of LED Lighting
LED lighting has become quite popular today in Singapore due to various reasons. It is considered to be more environment-friendly and durable than other types of lighting. LED lights are now being used in business places, traffic lighting, and electronics. Unlike other types of light lamps, LED lights don’t emit a lot of heat as the heat is drawn away via a heat sink. Before you decide to buy these types of lamps either for your home or for office lighting, you should first understand their benefits and disadvantages.
In this article, we shall look at the various pros and cons of LED lights that you should know before choosing them for your office.
LED lights have several benefits which make them different and popular than other types of lights. Some of these benefits include;
1. They are more Eco-friendly. LED lights are safe and they don’t pollute the environment. Unlike fluorescent lamps, these types of led lamps don’t contain hazardous chemicals like mercury. They don’t require any special way of disposal and some of them can actually be recycled.
2. Long service. LED lamps have an incredibly long lifespan. Studies have shown that these lamps can last for as long as 100,000 hours, unlike incandescent lamps which can last for about 750 to 2000 hours and fluorescent lamps which last for approximately 20, 000 hours. This is a very beneficial feature which can save you a lot of money used to buy lamps or pay for maintenance. When their lifespan expires, LEDs do not behave like other bulbs which usually burn out. Instead, they become lose their brightness and eventually become dim. This will tell you that they have expired and you need to replace them.
3. Durability. This is another feature which makes these lamps last long. Unlike fluorescent lamps which are made of fragile materials, these lamps are made of strong materials that can withstand vibrations. This is why you will find them being used at roadways or in vehicles. They don’t break easily when being installed or shipped.
3. Energy efficient. Compare to the traditional incandescent lamps, LED light lamps are more energy efficient. They have an estimated energy efficiency of 80-90%. When Led lights are turned on, about 80% of energy is used to produce light while the remaining 20% is emitted as heat. The vice versa is true for incandescent lamps. What does this mean? It means that you will save more energy with these types of lights than other lights. Also, you will save on electricity bills. Additionally, the low heat emission means that they are cool to touch.
4. LED lights don’t wash out colors like the fluorescent lights and other light sources. This means that they can be used for retail application and displays.
5. They have more power than other types of lights and can illuminate wide areas. This means your office, however large it is, will be well lit.
6. If you choose LEDS in your office light fixtures, you will create more efficient and direct illumination. This is because these lights are made in such a way that their illumination is directional to whatever area or spot you would like.
7. LED lamps function well even in dim light. They don’t change color tint when low current is passing through them, unlike incandescent lights which may change to yellow.
8. Less air conditioning. When you use these lights in your office or any other place, you will save on air conditioning bills. This is because they emit less heat compared to other light sources.
Just like any product, LED lights have their drawbacks. Let’s look at them in detail.
1. High Price. This is the biggest drawback of LED lamps. Although their price is dropping, they still cost more than fluorescent and incandescent lamps. This one factor turns away many people who would want to purchase these lights. However, when you buy these lamps, you may save a lot of money in the long run because you will save on electricity, replacement, and maintenance.
2. Over time, poorly designed LED lights can begin to change color, flicker, become dim or even produce uneven light. This is why homeowners Singapore should choose LEDs with an Energy Star Rating. The LEDs which have this rating will last longer while producing proper light without flickering or becoming dim.
3. They require some electronic expertise to install them. This is because they need to be supplied with a constant flow of current and correct voltage. This means you may need a professional to install these lights in your office.
4. When they age, these lamps can shift color. This can also be caused by high temperature. Also, you may find that two different white LED lamps producing different color characteristics.
5. They require a qualified electrical engineer to correctly install the fixtures so as to manage the heat produced by these lamps. If the lamps cannot manage the heat in high room temperatures, it may lead to overheating leading to their failure.
6. Although LEDs are known to be environment-friendly, some actually contain hazardous substances like lead, nickel, and arsenic.
7. Another problem associated with LED lights is the blue wavelengths they emit. Although this blue light is beneficial in daytimes because it boosts attention and mood, it can be disruptive at night. According to research, blue light at night can damage the retina and result to cellular oxidative stress.
8 They may be heavier than other types of lights due to the weight of the heat sink. For every watt of a LED lamp, you will require about 10 square inches of a heat sink.
The Bottom Line
LED lighting technology in Singapore is becoming more popular today than other types of lighting because of the many benefits it comes with. LED lamps in your office can save you money as they are durable and energy saving. Although the initial cost may be high, you will be compensated by their long service and efficiency. Before you decide on buying these lights, you may want to consult your interior designer to determine whether they will match the overall theme of our office and meet your specific needs. Weigh the pros against the cons to determine whether they will benefit you.